Saturday, 26 July 2008

Salty seas and lavender bees



Hope you are all enjoying the holidays, Big Sister has been off for over a week now and Little Sister for five days and we have been blessed with gorgeous summery weather. Most days have been spent on the beach, in fact this weekend we seem to have spent just a couple of hours at home. It feels really as if the summer has arrived (I am writing this of course with fingers crossed).



We are now all sporting salt encrusted hair that feels like cardboard because we've swam so much in the sea, our skin feels like sandpaper and there is that feeling of sand remaining between our toes even after umpteen showers. So life has been good this week, there is a bag permanently packed in the hall - full of towels, swimming costumes, books etc - just in case the sun shines and we're all getting use to the change in routine.



I love being able to step down a gear but there are times when my fingers get twitchy, when I need to know that there is a little project on the go that I can turn to when I have some spare time. So this week I have been sitting in front of the sewing machine early in the mornings and later in the evenings to make some lavender sachets for my Etsy shop.



I have been using an assortment of floral fabrics to create little bundles and I'm pleased with the results.



In fact there are more flowers on these sachets than there are in my garden at the moment! The garden seems a little tired, flagging a bit now - it always starts so early and seems to keep anything back for later in the season, it almost gets carried away with itself!



In our front garden however, the place is a buzzing with bees on our lavender. The opening of the front door is accompanied by the sound of bees busy buzzing and humming from one stalk to another. As we're not going away this summer the thought has crossed our minds that we should just stand in the front garden, close our eyes, listen to those bees, smell the lavender and imagine ourselves somewhere else. (we did this in the sea the other day, Big Sister and I turned our backs to the beach, faced out to a beautiful blue sea looked at the sailing boats and imagined ourselves abroad, she was in Italy and I was in France).



I've also added another birdhouse to my little shop, very floral and summery. I wouldn't mind a few of these pink feathery creatures flying around my garden.



Plenty of butterflies around though this year, that's if our cats don't see them first - it seems to be the only exercise they're getting at the moment. Apart from the daily run from one end of the garden to the other when they know it's meal time those two cats are just a hive of inactivity.



Before I completely suffer from meltdown I must thank some lovely bloggers who have recently nominated me for some awards. Thank you so much, I have been overwhelmed by the number of wonderful comments I have been receiving and feel very naughty that I haven't thanked you all sooner.



You MUST know by now that I never choose people to pass these awards on to as that would be too hard to do as I enjoy reading all your blogs so much. so if you're reading this now please consider yourself nominated and please if you can spare the time go and pay a visit to the lovely bloggers who passed on an award to me, all their blogs are great:

Alison at Born to Read and Knit blog - thank you Alison!

Anna at All Things Lovely - and if you're passing her hometown soon please go and buy a coffee and cake for me in her soon to be opened, gorgeous new cafe

Heid at Foxgloves, Fabric and Folly - Heidi posts the most gorgeous photos and I've been enjoying her Pink Saturday collections in particular

Lisa at Knitty, Vintage and Rosy blog, a blog that is relatively new to me but one that I always enjoy visiting.

Alison at Vintage Amethyst who has a great new online store to visit too.

Janice at Jan's Jabber, another relatively new read for me and one that I enjoy visiting.


Anyway thanks again to all of you. The sun is shining through the trees and I'm out into the garden to shake the sand from the beach towels, make some sandwiches and try and rouse a sleeping teenager.


32 comments:

This Vintage Life... said...

We do feel we have to enjoy every second of our Summer don't we before it fades?
What lovely lavender sachets...I've been making some this week too but from embroidered linens.
Deb x

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

Beautiful creations, Kim! I love all the patterns on the fabrics you used! Glad you are enjoying your lovely summer weather! =)

Tracy said...

mmm...delicious--can almost smell that lavendery trhough the pc screen--LOL! Your sachets are delightful--love those cheery floral fabrics. So glad you're all enjoying the summer holidays--grab it while you can! Here in Norway we've been boiling...People think Norway does not get hot, but it does--it's been 35 C /95 F here--fans running & iced tea flowing! Happy Days ((HUGS))

silverpebble said...

Those fabrics are just delicious, and the little extra ribbon and flower embellishments are gorgeous too. So many lovely pictures, and tales of the beach as well - what could be better?

Heidijayhawk said...

i am ever so jealous that you live close enough to go to the sea. we are ridiculously land locked. the lavender sachets looks lovely.

Suzie Sews said...

a beautiful post....very thoughtful...

Gina said...

Hi, I've just found you via Silver Pebble and can't believe I haven't done so before! Such beautiful fabrics in your lavender bags. I'm sure I will be back!

Julia said...

They're lovely. The big purpley blue flowered one reminds me of a dress my grandmother had, and lavender always reminds me of her. Beautiful!

Sea Angels said...

These are so lovely Kim, you are brilliant with both pattern and colour, and always inspire me to go looking for my sewing. I do hope your getting out in the sunshine though xx
Hugs Lynn xx

She'sSewPretty said...

Oh Kim! Those sachets are all so pretty! You are so lucky to live close to the beach. I'd never need a vacation if I had a beach close by. Hopefully, hopefully, I will get to the ocean soon!

Garden Girl said...

Thanks for the mention Kim! Very odd to see your lavender cushions, and I shall tell you why! I was picking bunches of the stuff from my herb garden yesterday (god, don't I sound posh?!) and I was thinking of you, and your love of lavender...your new cushions are bee-yewtiful, I am off to check out your shop. I can never resist those cushions!x

Thimbleanna said...

You were in France? I would be in the UK, happy as a clam. I would love to see your lavender -- have you ever shown it to us? Love your little sachets!

Cowboys and Custard said...

This is a real taste of summer with the sounds of the sea and shore, salty taste in the mouth and sand between the toes, bees buzzing and the beautiful colours that summer brings...
I hardly need a holiday.. just a visit to Ragged Roses for some summer sensations..
Can you bottle some of this for me please?

With love
Dxx

Simone said...

How lovely to live by the sea. I have not been a fan of this hot and humid weather but I am sure I could bear it if I lived by the sea. I love the fact that you have your bags all packed up for the beach so that you can leave at a moments notice! Your lavender bags are very pretty and I like the added details. I bet your house smells wonderful!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Those are sure to sell like hotcakes.....so dainty and pretty! I think I want one.....

dottycookie said...

All sounds idyllic! We have a permanently packed swimming bag in the hall too - though in our case it's usually a trip to the school pool which we open in the summer for all the families in the village. Loving this weather!

LOUISE said...

Life's a beach for us at the moment too. We are so, so lucky. My fair face is suffering in this heat though. Your garden, like mine, would have appreciated the downpour of rain last night, the soil has been so dry. A great idea to adorn your lavender bags with those pretty brooches, I am sure they will prove very popular on Etsy. Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. x

Samantha said...

Your lavender sachets have turned out beautifully! Lovely job.

Cathy said...

I love the combinations of fabrics - really fresh and pretty. The brooches are a nice finishing touch too. Lovely.
Cathy xx

Mirre said...

I wished we lived closer to the beach so that we could go there often! Sounds heavenly!

Alison Boon said...

Glad to hear that you are making the most of the good weather. Say hello to Worthing and Brighton if you go past. The little sachets are very neat and I love lavender. Some of them look as though they should be rose scented too.

Heidi said...

The beach is a great place to spend these very hot and humid days. I am keeping indoors as I cannot be out in the sun too much. I lived my beach time through you and your DDs. The lavender sachets are just so beautiful. There is nothing like the smell of fresh lavender in the summer! Keep enjoying the summer and your garden dear Kim.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Tea Time and Roses said...

What a bright and beautiful place your blog is! The sachets are so pretty, as is all your creations! Have a lovely rest of the week!

Smiles...

Beverly

Rachael Rabbit said...

I love lavender sachets - the smell is of lavender is divine. I love the materials you used - they look lovely ;-)

Rosie said...

Lovely lavender sachets, and i love the birdhouse - got a thing about birdhouses... The sun has been shining up here too, and although we have not been near the sea, we have been listening to the bees as well. Such an evocative sound.
Rosie x

mollycupcakes said...

Isn't it funny how sand seems to find it's way into everything and anything lol
We went to Cmaber sands on Sunday and it's now Thursday and I'm still finding it in my ears lol
Your lavender parcels are just beautiful.
I'm off to pop on to your Etsy shop and have a look look around.
Many hugs
Catherine x

michelle brown said...

i just recived my lovely lavender bags, they are for my little vintage caravan, they smell soo good!
enjoy the summer hols
x

Heidi Ann said...

Hi Kim, WOW! You have been busy making just the lovliest pieces!!!...I went to your etsy store & then saw the notice about not mailing those charming lavendar sachets to the U.S.!! :(... However, I am seriously thinking about that "oh so pretty" birdhouse!!!.....Also so happy to hear you are continuing to enjoy "summer"!...I love the image of all the "sand" that just somehow clings on!...I cannot believe it is almost August??...Here at our house summer weather follows us well into September, with only the nights cooling down quite a bit!...but I love Fall so much that I pretend it is cold & blustry outside while decorating with pumpkins, fall leaves, etc. :) Well I better go start my day!...Please stop by if you have time...I am celebrating my 100th post & am having a great giveaway!...Enjoy the summer!...Heidi XO

Jennie said...

The lavender bags are gorgeous.
Congratulations on your awards, much deserved!!
Glad you are having such a lovely time enjoying Summer!!

the homely year said...

So pretty...what gorgeous floral fabrics for the lavender bags. Wish we lived close to the sea so we could go to the beach everyday...sounds wonderful.
Margaret and Noreen

Gill at Lucy Locket said...

You describe it all so well I can almost smell the lavender! Sounds perfect, I haven't seen the sea yet this summer but hoping to when Husband has some time off, we must have at least a daytrip to the coast! Enjoy the lazy days. Your lavender bags are so pretty.

a home far away said...

It sounds good that you are enjoying the summer, your birdhouse is lovely I have a similar on my balcony:-

Hugs Gunilla from Singapore