Thursday 16 August 2007

Pottering and pickles


M is off work for two weeks and is now officially on holiday. We're not going away and have decided to go for 'days out' with the girls. There is so much to see and do around here that this is never a problem and judging by the size of the list that we drew up of all the places we want to visit, a fortnight will not be long enough!


For some reason though we've all been incredibly tired this week and given in to being lazy - days have been spent lazing round the house, pottering around and getting jobs done that have been hovering over our heads for a while now. I finally painted the door on what use to be the outside loo! This had been niggling me for some while now so it was good to get it done and I love the jade green which will hopefully fade and weather with time.


M has been really enjoying playing the hunter-gatherer in the garden and has spent the last few days up a ladder picking apples and figs. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on him, if I'm not careful our whole garden could be turned into one huge veg plot!


With so many apples and figs I had to make some chutney. I'm not an expert in fact this was only the second time I'd made it, but I can recommend it. It really is one of the most relaxing things to do - once everything is in the pan - it really is a case of just giving it a stir whenever you're passing through the kitchen. The results were great and very satisfying - jars of both apple and fig chutney ready for Christmas (oops I said that word!).


My youngest wanted in on the cooking action too but wanted no part in pickle-making. Her speciallity is Delia's chocolate brownies - delicious. Soft, crumbly and chewy and the scent of chocolate finally masked the rather overpowering smell of vinegar that had filled the house all day.
Something more active today I think, depending on when the teenager gets out of bed ....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim
That pickle looks divine, I would love your recepie!- Your door is the same colour as our shed, I love it too, so relaxing to look at. I painted our backdoor the same colour (nearly got carried away and painted every bit of wood I could find!). we are off to sunnier parts soon, hope your 2 weeks are fun. Maybe meet up for a chat when we get back, up on our lavender downs!!!!! Lets go and see if the sloes are doing well!

mollycupcakes said...

Hi Kim,
I hope you have lots of lovely days out.
Yummy that chutney looks so good. Any tips? on making it.
And where did you get that cute dotty chicken from? I'd love to get one for my Mum, please let me know if I can get one. Many thanks honey.
Best wishes.
Catherine x

Ali said...

Sometimes, kicking back at home is the best sort of holiday. Enjoy yours.

Gill said...

It's lovely to have time at home, just relaxing, no packing, airports or the post-holiday blues! Enjoy your days out.
It's great making chutney, but I know what you mean about the vinegar smell around the house!

Rubyred said...

Mmm ,homegrown figs, how lovely! Bet the chutneys gorgeous! Hope you enjoy your days out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim

Men have to satisfy their hunter-gatherer instincts somehow! The chutney sounds delicious and I love the colour of that paint.

Enjoy your days out.

Marie x

Cornflower said...

We too are holidaying at home this year. And decorating - worth it in the end!

Primrose Hill said...

Sounds like you'll have a nice fortnight pottering at home. Chutney is something I've never made, I should maybe give it a go!
Yours looks good!

L x

Heidi said...

Ohhh, I would love to stop in and have a cup of tea and one of those brownies! They look so delicious!

I have never had chutney. What do you eat it with? I do love seeing anything home canned though and your jars look marvelous. Now you are allowed to say Christmas, dear Kim. Summer is the perfect and relaxed time to prepare things so you can relax come December and enjoy it all more. :-)

I really loved seeing that basket full of apples. How lucky you are to have your own apple tree! I love homemade applesauce or even caramel apples with real maple syrup served over vanilla ice cream. I think I will drive by some farms this weekend and see if I can buy some apples now after seeing yours...

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Ooh you will have some lovely days out-bet you can't wait! Well, I can't wait to see all your lovely photos!!

Heidijayhawk said...

the chutney and the apples look amazing!! your summer holidays are just getting going while ours are really winding down. my gals are already in school. the boy is settling into his fall routine. sigh.

Anonymous said...

Days at home--that's part of holiday fun too! Such delicious delights here--yum! And love the soft jade green on the door. Happy Days! ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the pretty pastels that you've painted things! Your sense of color is so pretty and lighthearted, I'm sure it's incredibly relaxing to be at your house!

Enjoy your holiday!

weirdbunny said...

You the second blog that i've visited this evening that's mentioned Christmas !!!

Your old loo door looks lovely !