Saturday 15 December 2007

The week where I lost all common sense and met Kate Rusby!


A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me whether she should paint a room just before Christmas. "No, of course not, why add to the list?" was my reply. Why indeed? Which does not explain in any way why last week I had a complete flight of fancy and decided to paint one of the rooms downstairs. No Christmas cards have been written, no presents wrapped, but the room is freshly painted and the mess has been cleared!

Why after dithering about painting this room for two years and living happily with the tester pot in the garden shed for the same amount of time should I choose now to do it. What is this inner imperative that makes us feel that everything should be done before 25th? Anyway, done, tidied and I'm happy with the results. Normal service can now be resumed!



It's a soft, powdery, calm and chalky blue and it pretties up the room.



I'm finally at the stage where the decorations can come out.



Little birds hiding in the berries and holly.



Glitter and sequins in little corners of the room. The cats have yet to find them, they're still too busy with the tree!



Here is one of them caught redhanded, eyeing up her next smash and grab. They seem to be going for the pink ones judging by the ones I found this weekend in their stash (yes i know where you're putting them, left hand corner under the sofa) and I've given up all attempts at artistically arranging the recovered baubles they're just placed on the tree wherever and whenver we found them. Frustrating for me and very, very tiring for them!



We had a busy weekend too, Staff pantos at Big Sister's school, school plays, family get together on Sunday and Saturday night, finally after months of waiting, we got to go to the Kate Rusby concert! We all love her, we went last year but this time was the first for little sister who kept whispering to me that she had to remind herself that this was not telly, that this was real life! For months we'd been on countdown to the concert. Couldn't resist these baubles she'd designed and they've been placed right at the top of the tree as I'm not sure if the cats are Kate fans too.



I'd emailed her record company earlier this month, planning a surprise for the girls and after much shuffling around and secret sign making between M and I, we were ushered back into the concert hall afterwards where Kate was waiting for us on stage! As she chatted with us, I have never seen my girls so shocked/ thrilled/ dumbstruck/ flushed and quiet! Kate was as lovely and warm and natural as she appears on stage. It was difficult getting the girls to go to sleep at all on Saturday! Oooh I love Christmas.

26 comments:

Tracy said...

The light blue is lovely!( We attempted to keep on with the course of decorating during Christmas the first year we lived in our house--never again will I paint before or during Christmas holidays-LOL!) Think if the pretty blue as a gift to youself! :o) Such fun to hear of all else going on! And I like your birds...I love to decorate with birds at the holidays. Happy Days as you make ready for Christams ((HUGS))

tess said...

love your decorating and your tree, and the tale of the cats and the christmas decorations - so far or cats have contented themselves with trying to eat a knitted santa, much to the childrens distress....

pinkgreen said...

Your room looks lovely - what a gorgeous colour. I've got the same mirror above my fireplace, but mine is gold. I did toy with the idea of painting it white but I thought all the little curly bits would be a nightmare to paint and bottled out. I keep asking myself if I have time to start new projects, and seeing as the house is a bomb site and no cooking has been done for ages I feel now is not the time!
I love the birds by the way.
Cathy XX

French Knots said...

I did the same thing with our lounge last year - of course we couldn't celebrate Christmas until the yellow changed to a bluey green?!... so I know where you're coming from.
The little birds look lovely.

Barbara Jacksier said...

The color is soft and wonderful. Farrow and Ball somehow, always comes up with the perfect shade!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Of course you are feathering your nest in more ways than one with your beautiful F&B paint (same colour as my boudoir.. very calming) and those charming little birds.. I wonder how long it will be before your marauding moggies find them! Feathers will fly!
See you at the Ritz next year Kim..
Love Michelexx

Betty said...

I love that blue paint. I start decorating projects at the last minute too.
I had to look up Kate Rusby. I can't wait to share her with my two oldest kids. They both love folk music and I think they would really like her.

Samantha said...

Hi Kim,
I like that colour - what is is please?

Like you I have been thinking of painting a room - but unlike you, I think I'll be doing it after Christmas!

Garden Girl said...

Your cats are so cute- I love the languid pose on the sofa... I am with you on the decorating, it's almost like a nesting instinct, don't you think? Getting everything ready and perfect for Christmas...you're bound to enjoy Christmas even more now, I'm sure!

Louise said...

Hi Kim, I hate painting and always curse when it needs doing although I love this blue, we have the same colour in our lounge, I love it, and red/dusky pink/earthy tones go so well with it. Your cats are naughty but sweet, they must love Xmas, as must your girls when coming face to face with someone they admire so much. x

Cape Cod Washashore said...

What a darling "safely put" ornament!!! And your kitty looks so funny being caught red-handed! After a week of laying low, our kitty has resumed her tree-chewing (we have to unplug the lights now when she's near the tree... oh bother!).

Sounds like your daughters had a splendid pre-Christmas gift! =)

Curlew Country said...

I'm a big Kate Rusby fan, lucky you and what a treat for your girls! Love the berries (I've got some on my table last for weeks don't they). And good on you for decorating the room, beautiful shade, the other jobs will get done and your house will look perfect!
Stephx

Lucy Bloom said...

Hi Kim, that's a lovely colour you chose, bet you love being in that room now. Great little Christmas bits as well, your cats make me smile. What a wonderful treat for your girls at the concert too.
Lucy x

Heidi said...

When the spirit moves us, we really should listen Kim so I would have done the same thing. :) And just look how pretty the room has come up too! I love the white mirror against that color.

Your tree looks really beautiful and you got it decorated quickly to spite your decorating surge in the other room. I love the photo of one of your cats in action! How cute! I know, I know. You probably don't think it is cute and I would not either if it was mine. I have had the good fortune of all 5 of our cats we have had over the years never even looking twice at the Christmas tree.

I just filled my cookie jar with my bourbons! They even look great in the glass jar and hardly any were broken at all. I ate the crumbs of those as I put them in the jar. :)

~~ Heidi ~~

meggie said...

Another lovely post.
Your room looks very nice.
I love those birds in the Holly.
Seems you are well ready for Christmas to arrive.

Rowan said...

How exciting for you all to meet Kate Rusby after the concert, your girls will always remember that. I expect you will too:)
Love the shade of blue that you've painted your room, so fresh and pretty. Tree looks great too.

Anonymous said...

You know, there must be something in the air at this time of year that makes normally sane women want to cause themselve even more stress! I (almost) did it myself last week when I found myself in the paint department of a local store ~ what on earth was I thinking! Anyway, I left empty-handed and headed home to tackle the huge list of jobs ~ housework taking up much of it.

Your room looks lovely Kim and I like your little birds ~ glad to see that the cats are not going for them.

Merry Christmas!

Marie x

Louise said...

My little Daphne keeps stealing all of our tree ornaments and hiding them under the couch!! The top of the tree looks lovely and the bottom - well a little bare! I love the blue walls - good for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, your room looks lovely and the decorations too. Haven't you been busy! I was very tempted to decorate our stairs and started to look at wallpaper...fortunately Les dragged me away...soon as Christmas is over though I shall make a start.
Margaret and Noreen

Thimbleanna said...

Kim! The room looks great, but you're nuts painting it now! LOL! Love the little birds and the tree looks lovely. And what a fun surprise with Kate!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I started a room too (the kitchen) but honestly I cannot continue until the kids are back to school!
Your birdies and holly looks great!

andsewtosleep said...

oh Kim what a lovely treat for you all. Kate is one of my favourites - and I have yet to see her live [let alone meet her!] Mary

dottycookie said...

Lovely decorating - but meeting Kate Rusby? WOW! How envious am I now? I am going to stick her on the ipod in your honour while I cook my tea!

Anonymous said...

You are far more advanced with your Christmas preperations than we are. Merry Christmas.
cd&m
http://catondarlingandmoore.typepad.com

Jackie M said...

What gorgeous pictures, Kim, and I love your descriptions of the cats, such characters! The shade of blue you chose is so soft and pretty, I think you should definitely decorate when the mood takes you. I didn't know Kate Rusby so looked her up on Youtube, what a beautiful voice, and what a lovely surprise for the girls. Saw your balls on Lucy Bloom's blog and they look fabulous. Love Jackie Mx

weirdbunny said...

We still have a half painted ceiling and walls in the big lounge from last year ! Worst thing is i don't even notice it any more !