Saturday 6 March 2010

The Times They Are A Changin'...



And I'm not just talking about the lengthening of the days, change of seasons or month. But while we're on the subject, isn't it lovely to have some sunshine, proper daylight. A day that doesn't abruptly end at 4pm but gives you a couple of hours extra playtime. It's not so much the cold weather that I don't like, it's the greyness of the days that has got to me this past winter.
Here in the Roses household changes are afoot.



The hands on the clock seem to be moving ever faster, Little Sister this week found out where she will be going to Secondary School in September, now how did that happen? A friend came to visit on the day the letters came home to parents informing us of the new schools and she couldn't believe that it had been nearly eleven years since the day she was born. Eleven years since she came round to take Big Sister out for a special treat whilst the midwives called to check on the newest Rose... That day was a day that time stood still, a day of dreaminess and sunshine. So now I have one daughter counting the days to start secondary school and the other counting the days to Sixth Form, it's rather like being Wonderland at the moment, I get the distinct feeling that they've both drunk from the "Drink Me" bottle and have got too big too quickly...



But there have been signs along the way - the days of pink are no more. Her pink bedroom had to go apparently (a sure sign if ever there was one of a blooming Rose), so one weekend, whilst she was at a sleepover I had the Mad Hatter of an idea to paint her room to surprise her. Saturday night and Sunday morning found me spattered in blue paint, well actually "Summer Medley" to be precise, eager in my anticipation to see her face at the grand reveal.


She was delighted and i have to admit so was I. Her room does feel more "grown up", but deep down she's still my little squirrel...



In the same week that March arrived along with the new school place, there came her choice not to be Alice on School Book Day, but the Mad Hatter (and the Johnny Depp one at that) , a sign if ever there was that my little girl is growing up. And I have to say a mighty fine Hatter she made too.
Perhaps I'm turning into the White Rabbit, constantly looking at the clock and wondering where the time has gone... some days it certainly feels like I have fallen down that rabbit hole and time seems to be galloping ahead of me.


And today to celebrate the school news we are off to see THAT film, to marvel at the March Hare and Mad Hatter, wonder at Alice and relish the White Rabbit and that watch of his ... and I can't wait!

11 comments:

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

Loved the analogy of Alice in Wonderland. It's strange the things that happen to make us realise that our children are no longer our babies. This happened for me when I peeped through the crack in the door and saw my son putting on a pair of sunglasses and checking out his pose in the mirror. He was 6 years old! SueXX

charl said...

my baby boy is starting school in september.. i cant believe that hes even old enough to go to school!!
i love what i coudl see of the mat hatter . she looks cool!!..

Rubyred said...

Love the new paint colour, so pretty!
Time marches by very quickly,I cant believe my daughter will be 21 in May!Where has the time gone!
Of course, I was only a baby when I had her, well 21!
My son is starting 6th form too!
Exciting times!
Have a Happy weekend Kim!
Rachel x

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Oh Kim... it's the changing of the room color for my one and only girl that makes me feel a little blue, too! (She's going on 10.) Just the other day I opened her closest door and found all her little princess costumes with tulle tutus stuffed in the back; she used to wear those more than her pajamas! Now they're forgotten. =(
We can't wait to see Alice!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Our little angels do grow up too fast! Love the new blue and the cute little squirrel. Can't wait to see what you think of the new film -- I don't know if I can bring myself to see it or not. I do love Johnny Depp, but not a fan of Tim Burton!

Pam said...

And my baby is 25 and has been away from home for nearly 2 years, while the middle one is 28 and the oldest is 30. And it seems no time since they were born.

The empty nest is just horrid - enjoy them while you have them. I know you do.

Lisa said...

Summer Medley looks like a good choice to me.
Enjoy the movie.
Lisa x

Twiggy said...

My little Twiglet is growing up too fast, I wish I could stop and start time often.
twiggy x

A time to dance said...

I know just what you mean, what happened to my baby who would sit and cuddle on my knee, she now comes out with the pearls of wisdom and comforts me when I am sad...we have also been painting her room and making it more grown up...we saw alice at the weekend..I was a little dissapointed ...but then you know how I love Johnny and the red hair and green gooogly eyes were off putting....

Unknown said...

Seems so strange that my boys are 30, 28, 25 and 15. Do you know what I miss, watching childrens tv with them. Watching Blue Peter and then rumaging to find the sticky back plastic and toilet roll middles...
Lovely blue by the way!
Rosie x

Ally Jay said...

March can be a funny old month. Glad to see there were some high points along the way. Loving the cushion.