Friday 23 March 2007

Early Blooms



Spring is arriving in fits and starts. I wanted to take some photos of our garden today, but it is pouring down. Around the base of the old apple tree the circle of primroses is now fully in bloom and we have a full bank of them along one of our stone walls. Amongst the sherbety yellow flowers are some soft, dusty pink ones. These perhaps are my favourites and the ones I wanted to show. Perhaps it is the way they look nestled amongst the soft lemons and greens of spring, or perhaps its just because pink is my favourite colour. If weather improves I'll photograph them over the weekend and post them next week
Still in the garden the wild garlic is blooming, perennial stocks are beginning to flower, the bluebells are nearly there and (very excitingly) fresh shoots are emerging from the peonies.
With the weather so gloomy I've been making some ragged roses for Easter. I guess it may be some compensation for not being out gardening. I use the roses as corsages, add them to my rag bags and hook them on cushions. I'm thinking about making up a bunch to add to my new teacosy, we'll see ...

I think roses are perhaps my favourite flowers, just the smell of them takes me right back to my childhood, I used to make rose "perfume" on summer evenings with my friend next door. We would crush my mother's prized rose petals into a jam jar filled with water and dab the scent all over us. It is one of my most vivid memories and I love watching my girls running around the garden in the summer plunging lavender, marigolds and roses into containers and mixing them up with a pestle and mortar, slightly more reluctant these days to actually wear the scent though. If given the choice I always choose rose scented soaps and body creams - the Rose Body Cream from Neal's Yard is delicious!
Enough rambling, have a good weekend,

25 comments:

Cape Cod Washashore said...

That corsage is absolutely lovely! Oh how I wish you sold them!!! I remember Neal's Yard remedies... I purchased a hair shampoo from them long ago (in Covent Garden - I probably paid more than I had to)... but I bought it because of the beautiful cobalt blue glass bottle! =) My crocuses are just starting to pop, and my chives are well on their way - tis all for now in the garden though. =)

Tracy x said...

Sell those Corsages - they are so pretty!!!
tracy x

andsewtosleep said...

These are sooo lovely. Such gorgeous colours. Clever you.

Ali said...

Pretty corsages! And I remember that rose petal 'perfume' too - slightly less appealing after a couple of warm days in a sealed jar...

Ginny Gibson said...

Hi thanks for your visit to me the other day. I love the name of your blog and your corsages too!!

Looking through your previous posts have been fun. I love your bedroom of course with the wonderful bed and quilt!! I think we may be kindred spirits, I also have the same black cat.

will be back soon.
best wishes Ginny

Rowan said...

I love the ragged rose corsage, it's so pretty. I'm a fan of roses and rose scent also. Like you I made 'rosewater' when I was a child:) I use the Neal's Yard moisturiser and hand cream, must look for the rose body cream too, it sounds wonderful.

Peta said...

Love the corsages, divine! Love your beautiful cat too :)

Pam Aries said...

Pretty! ..I love Neal's yard! I worked diligently in my garden today! No flowers yet! I planted seeds!

The fabric of my life said...

I'm a rosy kind of girl too, love the scent. Those corsages are beautiful, you really should sell them :-)

Naturegirl said...

I just had to come by and see what ragged roses was all about and what a delight!Your bouquets are charming! How creative you are with material! I love to photograph roses!Oh yes and grow them..lots of them! Spring is just coming along here in Canada so I have my indoor roses to admire and photograph! Nice to meet you! :)NG

Jo said...

I used to make that perfume with my sisters too. Not quite crabtree and evelyn standard though. Your corsages are beautiful. And thanks for your comments, really appreciated.

Tracey said...

Your ragged roses are darling!

I used to do the 'perfume' thing, too, as a child. Funny how we just don't enjoy that smell quite so much these days, eh?

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Kim, Your corsages are lovely, the colours are beautiful! I have some primroses in a tub outside the front door at the moment, but none in the ground I'm afraid! Although I love all types of flowers I think the rose has to be top of the list for me too! Clare x

Betty Jo said...

Oh your ragged rose creations are soooo gorgeous! You should sell them. I adore the colors, and they are very springy. xoxo

Charlotte said...

Like everyone else I think you should sell your corsages. You really are a talented girl/lady!
Charlotte x
still at hopeandfaith.typepad.com but can't seem to leave a comment from that one on yours.

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Those corsages are incredibly lovely! I agree... you should make some to sell. They are gorgeous!!!

Niki Fretwell said...

Can't believe you have been having rain! It has been so spring like here. Hope it has improved for you now, but then your lovely hand made corasges are cheerful during gloomy weather.

OhSoVintage said...

I love your corsages too particularly the very pink one. So many of us share a love of roses - I even called my daughter Rose.
I'd forgotten all about making 'rose' perfume as a child until you reminded me - happy memories.

Vintage to Victorian said...

Another who remembers the rose perfume! Let me know when you decide to make and sell those beautiful corsages. Just what I'm looking for.

I'm so glad you started posting your photos. See, I told you early on that everyone would be very complimentary!!

Sue x

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your rose corsages!! Beautiful! ♥

GigerVamp said...

I'm another who made rose 'perfume' as a child, and now I make soaps and bath/body stuff!
Your corsages are pretty, and I love your cat.

AC said...

Hi,
I have just discovered you through Primrose Hill. DO tell me you sell your lovely corsages and teapot cozys! I'd love to buy one.
Making rose perfume in the back garden really takes me back to my childhood.
Take care.
Alison.

lauren said...

Wow! Found your blog via Nostalgia at the Stone House. Your corsages are fantastic!! And you don't sell them? You really need to etsy those beauties!!
Your photos are all so pretty, I think I will catch up on all your posts this afternoon, everything here looks lovely.

lauren Mumford
alicelands.typepad.com

PurpleFlowerFairy said...

are you sure you don't want to sell a few of these??? please let me know if you do! =) debbie

weirdbunny said...

My daughter made perfume last week from one of my camila flowers. It's one of those wonderful childhood pasttimes that you have to let them have yur flowers for.
I love your cortages ... so beautiful.