Monday 5 March 2007

The Thrill Of It All


A grey, rainy Sunday afternoon spent watching Doris Day movie (The Thrill of it all) with my girls on the sofa. Perfect. Hot cross buns, tea and Doris. The girls laughed out loud and so did I, with one eye on my oldest to see if she could spot just how dated (but lovely) it all was - not sure. The chuckles from my husband and ironic snorts from me when Doris promised her husband never to get a job and that his career was enough for the both of them were lost on the girls. However, there are days when being home alone is pure magic. After Monday morning's washing, cleaning and general chaos is sorted I'm allowing myself a little Doris Daydream ... piles of pretty fabrics and trimmings, brightly coloured bundles of rags, roses,sequins, gingham and ribbon - what more could a girl want? Teacosies, bags and brooches beckon.

13 comments:

Clare and Mike said...

Hello and welcome to blogger! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here - there's a great many of us like-minded, vintage lovers! Clare x

Samantha said...

Hello,
Welcome to blogging!

I have that radio in my hall - grea taste

Primrose Hill said...

Hi there!
Welcome to blog land, thanks for coming over to visit! Looking forward to seeing your creations - we're a lovely bunch really, don't be scared to show and tell!
L x

Charlotte said...

Wow, your blog looks amazing already. And you've only posted twice. The picture of the rose/flower for your profile photo is gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!
Charlotte x

stéphanie said...

Hello and welcome!
Your pictures are lovely.
It is half term over here,and working from home and I definitely understand you when you say it is nice to be alone from time to time!

Tracy x said...

Welcome to the world of blogging - be warned it is addictive!
Cannot wait to see what you make with that colourful bundle of goodies x
Tracy x

Ali said...

Hello! Samantha from Plump Pudding sent me over. Wecome to blog-world.

TheVintageMagpie said...

Hello and good luck with your blog. I am a fairly new blogger too, dont be scared its great fun and totally addictive. Look forward to seeing your creations!

Claire said...

Welcome! I love that you open your blogging life with a Doris day reference. I think we will be fast friends!

Emma Herian said...

Welcome to an addictive world - we are from the same part of the world so an extra welcome! Lokks like your blog is going to be beautiful!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

When I was a little girl, my favorite thing to play was 'Doris Day'!! I always thought she had the sweetest voice and she was so pretty. Hard to think about people like her being gone, isn't it?

Deb said...

"A Doris Daydream" ... I love that phrase ...from one Doris Day fan to another - I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Wonderful blog.

Merci-Notes said...

Hi! love your corsages!!! and the tea cozy at the begining of your blog today (U.S. time April,13,Friday) it was inspired by a Doris Day movie, you said. i love Doris Day Movies also and have made sure my kidos were brought up on her movies too! Do you like Cary Grant and Rock Hudson, oh and james Garner Movies also? have you seen a clasic..It's a Mad, Mad World? Very very funny..non of above mentioned actors but filled to the brim with big great names! Love your work!!!
With Kindness,
Mary