Friday 30 November 2007

Drawing Inspiration



My youngest daughter won a huge tin of coloured pencils as an art prize at school this week. She is hugely proud of them and has been rearranging them in their tin ever since. They certainly add a burst of colour to a very grey week. I am very proud of her and very pleased that her enthusiasm for art was picked up on. When I was at primary school I use to love the trays of coloured pencils coming out for us to use and would spend an age just staring at the colours before choosing. I remember vividly the two that were my favourites - a soft lilac and an aqua green that I used as often as possible and I think even as a teenager remembering colouring in a diagram in biology in those colours too! Unfortunately my enthusiasm for colour has not improved my drawing skills. I did well at school when we had art exams, copying flowers etc but to this day am unable to draw people! I have nothing but complete admiration for people who can and am awestruck by how easy they make it look.



I started shopping for gifts this week and made a very hasty retreat after a trip to the local shopping centre which was heaving! Sitting in the comfort of my home with the computer in front of me with Etsy and other bloggers to feed my Christmas pressie buying habit, I don't think I'll be venturing out much again. If, like me, you love buying prints, you might like to visit the creator of this print - Belle and Boo. I know most of you know her already - but if not, go visit her Etsy shop in time for Christmas. I wish I could draw like that!



This print, Tree Hugger, captures beautifully just everything I would like to portray about my oldest daughter. She has it hanging above her bed and loves it.



This print, Patience Brown, reminds me of my youngest and is adorable. We've bought lots of pressies from her and I visit her site with trepidation as I'm always enchanted by whatever she produces. Go and have a look, it might make you need one less trip into town ...



The other week, Lynda, very kindly nominated me for a Friendly Site Award. Thank you Lynda! Lynda lives in Canada and has just opened an Etsy shop too if you haven't visited her before. You probably know by now just how impossible it would be for me to choose just one, two or even three of you to pass it on to. I am surprised daily by the warmth and friendliness of all of you and to choose would just be too hard. Instead perhaps we could all try to visit a blog we haven't visited before and make some new friends along the way (it beats Christmas shopping hands down!).



I'm sorry If I haven't been round to visit much recently - I will try and catch up, I can't believe it's December tomorrow!
Have a good weekend.

24 comments:

Carol said...

I will go and have a look later, no doubt another on-line shop that I will add to my list.
The pictures are really lovely, did they come framed, because the frames a just what I like.
xCx

Betty said...

Kim, What a wonderful prize! When I was a girl I spent all of my baby sitting money on colored pencils, charcoal and drawing paper. Now I spend money on my youngest son's paint pens and sharpies. Sometimes he even lets me borrow them. LOL

Tracy said...

Congrats on the prize--your place here is a very friendly one! :o) So lovely your daughters art prize...those are delicious colored pencils--hope she feels inspired. When I was young gifts of such pencils and crayons was a delight--still is! Great shopping. I've not had to venture out much for gifts, either--making my own and Etsy and other online places have saved such headache. I've been MIA this week too--such crazy-busy day...Happy weekend to all of you ((HUGS))

Heidijayhawk said...

i think that soft lilac may still be one of my favs! what an awesome prize for a grey week!

Louise said...

Great picture of the pencils. I used to always keep mine in colour coordinating order and never put them back out of sequence. I am hopeless at art, at secondary school I once got my brother to do my homework for me, to draw something in perspective, the teacher must have known I hadn't done it as it was too good, but never queried it, which to this day I don't know how I got away with it! x

tea time and roses said...

A Big Congratulations on your Award! Love all those pencils, and what a lovely prize. I love colored pencils too!

Smiles to you...

Beverly

hannah said...

New pencils, aah, theres nothing better!! I still love seeing a whole spectrum of pointy long new pencils in a row like that, I dont really draw myself any more, but my children keep up the demand for new colours! I love Belle and Boo, I have admired her work for a long time now, it is just deciding which prints to choose!

K said...

OK, I am officially jealous of the pencils. I always used to line them up in the order of the spectrum as far as I could, too.

dottycookie said...

Oooh, who doesn't love coloured pencils? I've been trying to have a little bag packed up with pencils and paper ready to put in the car if we go out anywhere. Of course I usually forget to actually put in IN the car ...

Congrats on the award, you deserve it!

meggie said...

Yesterday was our Dec 1st. First day of summer. It poured all day!! & was lovely & cool.
Love those pencils. When I was a child happiness was a collection of Lakeland coloured pencils, & my water colour paint set!
Congratulations to your daughter.

Pam said...

I always wanted a big tin like that. Well done, daughter. Those colours...

peppylady (Dora) said...

I thought it was time I stop in and say "Hi" I found your blog from Rowan.
Every Friday I do a thing called "Friendly Fridays" and I thought I would feature your blog.

Congregational to your daughter for winning the colored pencils in art contest.

I done a little bit of Christmas shopping also.

Thimbleanna said...

Those pencils and prints all look so beautiful! And you are indeed a friendly blog!!!

Rowan said...

Aren't those pencils gorgeous - well done to your daughter for winning them. I love the colours of the two you picked out - I've always loved boxes of colouring pencils too but I can't draw at all. I'm with you on avoiding all the awful crowds, I do most of my shopping online these days and even have it organized so that I don't have to do food shopping near Christmas either. Makes things so much pleasanter.

Country Cottage Chic said...

I remember once winning a huge box of crayons with a sharpener in the back - I thought it was the most snazzy thing ever!

Anonymous said...

Congatulations to your daughter on getting such a super prize and congratulations to you for your well deserved award.
cd&m
http://catondarlingandmoore.typepad.com (don't want to be anonymous)

Gill said...

Well I'm very pleased that you found time to visit me Kim! You've won a little prize,email me your address and I'll pop it in the post.I know I've had your address before but can I find it anywhere?!
You must be very proud of your daughter, it's so good when their artistic abilities are recognised and nurtured. I've spent a few hours this week helping my daughter with her Art GCSE coursework, she needed a bit of encouragement and now she's back on track.
I'm quite creative but can't draw either,that's probably because I've never been taught. I think I'll probably take an art course sometime in the future once the kids are off my hands. I'd love to be able to draw and paint and like you am full of admiration for people who make it look so easy.

I'm staying well away from the shops while they're so busy. I've bought quite a few things on Ebay and I pop into town when it's quiet to pick up odds and ends. I can't think of anything worse than trawling around the shops on a Saturday at this time of year! I'm off to check out Belle and Boo now, thanks for the link.
Gill x

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Congrats to your daughter on winning those yummy pencils!

I remember red being my favorite color in school (it still is). ;) Some of my crayons would never be used, while the red one was always the smallest in the box. Now my toddler has chosen his favorite... red! =) Deja vu for me looking at his crayon box! lol

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I wish all kids were surrounded by people who helped them learn art because kids really love it. Those pencils look so pretty!
Etsy is quite an amazing place, isn't it?

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Oh such pretty things....
Congratulations to the prize winner and how fab that it was lovely colourful pencils...

Tracy x said...

love belle and boo - i just cannot visit often as i would like most things!
i cannot wait to put up her set of prints - seasons - as soon as the walls are done.
i also loved the tin of pencils, seeing your pictures i could almost smell them!!
happy memories
thank you x
tracy x

pinkgreen said...

I've always loved tins of pencils and they have to be arranged in order of colour too. What a great prize. I love the Belle and Boo prints - I was thinking about getting the Tree Hugger one for Grace as it would suit her down to the ground. I'm not sure there is an equivalent for Ruth though - she doesn't seem to do a stroppy little b****r one!!
Cathy XX

TheVintageMagpie said...

Hi Kim,
I love coloured pencils too, the smell of brand new sharp ones! I have a couple of new packs in my drawer at all times.. just for the children you understand! Belle & Boo prints are amazing aren't they.. I would get one too if I could choose between them all! x

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hi Kim
Good Luck with the play tonight! Remember the Benylin! I do hope you feel better with each passing day..
Michelexx