Monday 5 November 2007

What year is it?



Yes we did make it out on Friday! For some strange reason everything fell into place, the oldest went off to her sleepover, dressed as a corpse bride and returning on Saturday looking more like a zombie (without the help of make up, thanks to no sleep!). The youngest decided to be a little angel, enjoyed being alone with the new babysitter too. So off we went, me, M and two other male friends who's partners had also had babysitter problems and were forced to stay at home (must have been something in the air on Friday). We went to see Iron and Wine play and were immediately transported to the late 1960s in California, what a beautiful, beautiful sound, well worth all the stress of earlier on in the day. Beautiful!


We came home expecting little sister to still be up, watching TV with her new babysitting friend and were somewhat surprised (perhaps that's too mild a word} to find little sister tucked up in bed and , somewhat disconcertingly, a teenage boy sitting in her place on the sofa! He turned out to be very sweet and apparently was there keeping the babysitter company whilst she sat for us and her other friends turned up (who were incidentally at the Iron and Wine concert too, instant boost to our credibilty ratings there!).



Lazy day on Saturday, time in the garden raking up all the leaves - haven't we been lucky with this weather? It feels like early spring and judging by the amount of bees and butterflies spotted in the garden I'm not the only one to think so.



A pile of cupcakes to reward the gardeners whilst we listened to party stories from both girls and I even found time to make some new things for my Etsy shop. I've just finished a mountain of pompoms for a couple of orders, so it was nice to do something different for a change.


Sunday morning I woke up early and went to the car boot. So glad I did - I found this gorgeous pegbag in the loveliest 50s fabric. Pink, aqua, dove grey and seashells, I'm in love. I also found some pretty little glass bottles in that lovely shade of blue that old glass has. One is an old Boots Chemist bottle, complete with glass stopper, another medicine bottle and a tiny bottle of Eiffel Tower lemonade, from the 1950s. They'll all go upstairs to keep some others company in the bathroom.


The weather was too good to waste yesterday and we finally persuaded Big Sister to muster up the energy to come with us to take little sister to the park.

Another time warp here as quite by chance, we stumbled into the Veteran London to Brighton car rally that was nearing its finish and was using the park as its final check point.



I'm not a great car lover, as long as my car is safe, reliable and gets me from A to B I'm happy, but there is something to be said for the beauty and romance of these old cars, well, apart from the trails of smoke they leave behind and the achey bottom little sister said you would have if you sat on a wooden seat all the way from London!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of fantastic goodness here today--such fun! Glad you all had a great weekend. Love all the new pretties in your shop too! Happy week to you all ((HUGS))

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

sounds like a great weekend...loving the car booty!!!
Suzie Sews

Heidi said...

What a great weekend! We enjoyed ours too. I guess getting outdoors at this time of year is really refreshing. I love the ragballs you made to sell in your Etsy shop. I want to start making them but it is to crochet a ragrug which I have never done before. It should be interesting. I want to put a huge dent in my fabric stash anyway. I feel like I walk into a quilt shop when I am in my studio. I think I obsessed and bought too much fabric. LOL!

Love the oldtimers! I too wish we had cars that contained that kind of romance in this day and age. How fun that you wondered onto it.

~~ Heidi ~~

Nonnie said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I love your new pegbag. Really pretty fabric. Seeing the London to Brighton Rally makes me think of that lovely old film about it where the two couples try to race each other to Brighton and get into all sorts of trouble along the way. I'm trying to remember the name but can't. I know it was the name of one of the cars and was a female name. Haven't seen it in years. Just remembered - 'Genevieve'!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Sounds like a successful weekend! Hubby says he's heard of the London to Brighton car rally, now he even wishes he had an antique car for himself! lol He enjoyed those photos you posted.

We just had a storm over the weekend... no electricity... no internet... trees down all over town... lol.

meggie said...

I just love your posts! sigh!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good night out. Our babysitter has a nice young man who keeps her company too!
Love the peg bag fabric.

Betty said...

I am embarrassed to say that I don't know who Iron and Wine is. I'm a California girl too so I have no excuse. I'm glad that you had a nice time listening to them though.
Those rag balls and so cute!

pinkgreen said...

Glad you had a good weekend. I love the new things you've made for your etsy shop - really pretty. Those cars are so lovely. I'd really like an old car, but not being able to drive and not having off road parking mean it isn't the best idea!
Cathy XX

Berber said...

What a weekend! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves so much!

Carol said...

Your green glass tray, i have that one too!
and some of those small green glass bottles...
Sounds like the weekend was great fun.
I am off now to visit your shop.
XX

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

Sounds like all-in-all, you had a fantastic time! Good for you. We all need some down time...

Kitty

dottycookie said...

I grew up just outside Croydon (least said about that the better) and the vintage car run came through our town every year. It was an annual tradition to go with my dad to stand on a big roundabout and watch them trundle around us. I had forgotten all about it till just now - thank you for the memory!

tea time and roses said...

What a wonderful weekend... So glad you had a fabulous time. Love all your new pretties too!

Smiles to you...

Beverly

Thimbleanna said...

What a fun, busy weekend you've had! And good success at the car boot!

Rubyred said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend.Love your new makes for your Etsy shop,very pretty!

thehomelyyear said...

Hi, what lovely finds and a gorgeous dahlia. There's such a lot out in the garden still. Sounds like you had a great weekend.
Margaret and Noreen

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I think those cars were called Tin Lizzies...there used to be a theme park where you could ride reproductions of them. So cute!

mollycupcakes said...

What a great weekend, full of lots of fun and days out.
And sounds like you had a good evening out too.
Have a nice week sweetie.

Hugs.

Catherine x

OhSoVintage said...

I don't know who Iron and Wine are either but I do love 60s music. Nice peg bag too.

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Kim,

So pleased you had a good night out - remind me what that's like!!!

The weather has been great for car boots hasn't it? Hope the lovely weather continues!

That rally was a treat for you - you can't beat an old jallopy!

Enjoy the rest of your week,

Clare x

Mary said...

Great car boot finds lovely colours

Rowan said...

Glad to hear that your night out was a success all round and the weekend too - what fun to see the end of the London to Brighton Rally, I love seeing all the great veteran cars. Vintage ones too, I'd love to own one of those fabulous 1930s cars.

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Hi Kim and the scrummy cats! It sounds like a fab weekend-I love the pictures on the vintage almanacs!!

Maggie said...

Your weekend sounds like it was busy but fun. It's always fun to have things to do and family to do it with. Oh and I love the photo's you took of the vintage cars.