Monday 19 November 2007

Let's just stay in



It was only while eating dinner last night that we realised that the youngest hadn't been outside at all this weekend. Not that any of us had braved the weather for any length of time. M took the car to the garage on Saturday and collected a curry with the oldest in the evening and I did a supermarket run yesterday. That's it, the sum total of fresh air intake in 48 hours! Most of the time was spent in front of the fire and I have to say it was lovely.


Having just written a post about how much I love the sunshine it does seem strange to be now admitting that I quite like wet weekends. It's not that I want it to happen every weekend or that I want arrangements to be cancelled or anybody's fun to be spoilt. It's just that now and again, when there's nothing planned, there's nothing better than being holed up at home and doing nothing. ( I use to love rainy days off school when I was little, I remember the smell of my mum's cooking and how cosy it always felt, no matter how poorly I was). The winter is the time when my home really feels like home, when there is no inner imperative to be outside making the most of the sunshine, when there is no pressure to keep up with the gardening. It's a time to enjoy my home, enjoy the sanctuary that it offers, the warmth and security that the children love and that lovely feeling of shutting the door behind you, knowing that there really is no reason to go anywhere in particular for a couple of days.

This of course doesn't always work. Two daughters in self-imposed confinement can be a recipe for disaster. But, thankfully, this weekend, was different. Big sister was feeling particularly benevolent and spent the most of Saturday indulging her younger sister's whims to play with her. Little sister spent most of Saturday afternoon teaching M to salsa (no mean feat) and to show off her newly acquired salsa skills. If only we had CCTV installed, this was a lesson guaranteed to brighten up anyone's grey Monday. I haven't laughed like that for a long while ...


So lots of hotties, eiderdowns and card playing this weekend. M got a chance to listen to his records and I got a chance to do some crafting (extremely rare at the weekend).

This little hamper shows the growing array of goods now in my Etsy shop. Lavender sachets made from my bumper lavender harvest this summer and some of my fabric stash. I also had time to make a set of 4 smaller pompoms in lovely bright colours. They would be great as Christmas decorations, hung from a window, tree or drawer - perhaps added to some gift wrapping to add that extra bit of fun! They're all made from recycled fabrics too.




One of the best things about this grotty weather is that you no longer need any kind of excuse for this. Eating chocolate, drinking chocolate (can you see that little cube of chocolate in cellophane? - solid drinking chocolate) - perfect stocking filler!

Now there's no reason not to be able to bathe in it. I've never seen four people so eager to have a bath before (oh and it's organic so it must be good for you!). Of course when the weather get's really bad then eating and drinking chocolate whilst bathing in it is definitely called for!

37 comments:

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hello
What a powerful punch your post packed today.. (gosh bit of a tongue twister).. I too have not set foot outside since Saturday but can't put it off much longer as have to post some parcels.
The Huntely & Palmer biscuit tin is so nostalgic for me.. my mother had the same tin and kept plasters and pink ointment in it..I can still remember the smell.
Have a lovely cosy day and snuggle down!
Michelex

Anonymous said...

What a lovely welcoming fireplace ...no wonder you stayed in this weekend:-)
Girl after my own heart with all that chocolate:-)
Take care,
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

A delicious, cozy weekend...With such treats, a fire, family time, it sounds just the thing. (btw, I have that same pretty blue mug-it's a fave of mine!) It was dull, foggy, drizzly weekend here, so we had some snug time too--only thing to do when it's like that outside, must make the best of it! Happy week to you & yours ((HUGS))

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hi Kim
Thank you for drpopping by just now..
Yes it was germolene!
Such an evocative smell isn't it?
Love
Michelex

Mary said...

H9 - sorry your weather has turned wet and cold - I was just home in Torquay for 2 weeks and luckily extremely pleasant weather prevailed!!!
I'm enjoying your blog - anything that brings me closer to home is always cheering - even when it's raining!! So many memories - tea cosy, Huntley & Palmer biscuits, Green & Black choc. - and thanks for sharing corners of your comfy home.
Stay warm and dry!

Thimbleanna said...

Bathing in Chocolate? How fun! It sounds like you've had a wonderful weekend. I'm with you -- I'm loving the cold rainy weather -- I just need the trees to finish dropping their leave, one more nice weekend to clean it all up, and then bring on the icky weather! I love holing up for the winter!

Heidi said...

Bathe in CHOCOLATE??? I love it but might be found drinking my bath water. LOL!

Well, as an avid rainy and grey day lover, I loved reading your post Kim! I think it is so easy to make a grey day bright. For each of us, that means something differnt but the same results. A fun inside day! There is nothing like a warm afghan or quilt and a hot drink is there? We have a woodstove which I love sitting by and working on my stitching or a quilt. I just love your fireplace! What a pretty mantle you have.

Did you watch Cranford last night?

~~ Heidi ~~

Garden Girl said...

I cannot understand how I have just written a post on things that make you feel better when you're ill and not managed to include chocolate?! Oh dear, I must have been really ill!! I am now off to admire your lavender bags!

pinkgreen said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend. We had a similar one although I had to brave the weather to pick Ruth up from the theatre, and that was more than enough. The chocolate collection looks like my idea of heaven!
Cathy X

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Chocolate biscuits, hot chocolate, chocolate ANYTHING! lol At your recommendation last summer, we ordered for our shop the chocolate covered Turkish delight. WOW! I had one bite (which was enough it was so sweet, but then I had two more bites). HEAVEN! =) They now sit happily on our shelves for all our British expat neighbors to buy for the holidays (no one around here knows what turkish delight is).

Country Cottage Chic said...

Those days can be so enjoyable - in the winter school holidays my children often have what they call "pyjama days" when they stay in their PJ's all day, relaxing & not doing much at all.

dottycookie said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend. We were at a wedding on Saturday, but then yesterday we stayed at home and baked and lit a fire and it was just lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love rainy days and am always more inclied to go out on them, I love to mooch about in the rain be it at the coast, in the woods or even window shoping. Then it's home to a nice cup of tea with a wee tot of whisky in it just to warm me up!

Anonymous said...

Your fire looks sooo cosy! Cold, rainy days are perfect for wrapping oneself in a blanket, sitting in front of the fire with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book. There are times when I want nothing more. Have a great week! ~ hugs, Lynda xoxo

Anonymous said...

ps ~ I've left something for you on my blog!

FourSistersInACottage said...

What a great weekend, and what a better weekend with chocolate.
Yippy Skippy for you!!!
Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)

Louise said...

It's funny - we've been hiding inside too - from the exreme heat! Not exactly cosy!

Pam said...

Ah, I'm all for going for wet walks, myself. And then enjoying the glow of satisfaction from no longer being outside.

White Cats said...

Beautiful fire. Its not cold enough here in Alabama yet, but I am looking forward to a nice fire this winter. Love your crafts and the eiderdown. Wouldwe Americans call that a "comforter"?. I wonder. Lena

Betty said...

It hardly ever rains here so when it does it is a treat. I love staying in bed with a book and listening to the rain.

ginny said...

Love this post Kim.. your house sounds so cosy.
My girls are fairly close in age and most of the time love to play together. We have been observing 'tango' practicing ..'Strictly come dancing' stylee.... my girls vary in height and to see the wee one taking charge of the dance is hilarious.
I also love just chilling with my man and the girls... those cosy days inside... and chocolate.... Alice and i drink lots of this at work at the moment... i am off to investigate the chocolate bath link.
Have a lovely 'cosy' week Kim.
ginny
x

Carol said...

Me too, been in since Sunday and although it has been due to sickness, I have had a good excuse to keep everyone away for a while, I needed the break!
I am better today and loving being holed-up!
Open fires, perfect for those feeling under the weather days!
I adore the little Huntely & Palmer biscuit tin, my parents have a few old tins, maybe I can persuade them to part with them!
XX

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Kim

Lovely post but I liked the fire best as we don't have one here. I do miss our old woodburner!

Would be so good if you were just a tad nearer so you could meet up with all the West Country bloggers at the Fairs! Good to hear from you though!

Sue x

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Kim

What a lovely post! I too spent all of Sunday indoors! I lit the woodburner and vegged out in front of the tv - now that is rare! I sat and watched Matilda and thoroughly enjoyed it! Then I made a huge warming casserole - bliss!

I'm with you 100% on the chocolate - I have some Belgain choc drink just waiting for me to indulge! I bought a friend a chocolate scented candle the other day - bit cruel really as it makes you want to eat it!

Here's to rainy, homely days!

Clare x

tea time and roses said...

What a beautiful fireplace, and lovely photos. Family, fireplace, chocolate...sounds wonderful to me!
Have a wonderful rest of the week.

Hugs to you...

Beverly

Cornflower said...

It's been pouring all day here today, but I went for a walk - in fact, the rain took me out! Mad, maybe, but it was fun. I do know what you mean, though, about having every excuse to stay in the warm and enjoy home comforts - so cosy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

I love Green & Black's chocolate ~ a sweet indulgence. Now bathing in chocolate sounds interesting...

Enjoy your weekends by the fire.

Marie x

Mary said...

Love your fireplace. I could willingly hibernate in this weather!! Its so cold and damp. The worst of British weather.

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Oh how beautiful cozy your fireplace looks! I love sweater weather, and chocolate!!!!

Nonnie said...

I had a very similar weekend myself apart from having to go into London on Saturday evening to a friends drinks party. I feel guilty to admit that I actually didn't really want to have to venture out as it was far to cosy at home. Love the sound of chocolate to bath in. Where did you come accross that?

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Miserable weather often makes for some great crafting, log fires and ofcourse yummy chocolate.
Suzie Sews

Louise said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, I always love to receive comments. I too live between the downs and the coast in West Sussex. I had never heard of the toiletries you have the link to, I shall be checking those out and of course I love chocolate, doesn't everyone! x

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I just forced my children to GO OUTSIDE...they needed some exercise and fresh air.
Bathing in chocolate!!! Now that is an idea I can cope with!!! Do you bathe with your mouth wide open :)

meggie said...

What a wonderful picture you paint!

Berber said...

I'd almost wish we would have a rainy weekend as well.. you make it sounds so lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love rainy weekends too. Just knowing that I cannot get outside to do the garden makes me feel all cosy especially if it's cold and I can light a fire. Chocolate, a cup of tea and watching an old film is my idea of heaven!

Jane
x

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Kim, I'm like you, I love staying in on rainy days too!! Love seeing all these cheerful photos, and thanks for all your kind words of late-I really appreciated it!!xx